On the Possession of Leadership

For the longest time, I thought leadership was not really a “skill” or “trait.” I thought it was just a thing you displayed, it wasn’t really something you learned or had to learn, kind of like quickness or bravery. You did something quickly; you were brave in a situation; you lead a group to a place. But the more I see groups of people from the outside looking in, the more I realize that not everyone is cut out to be a leader. Not everyone wants to be a leader. And being a leader really is a skill in itself.


Saturday, the old Circle K gang got back together for one last hurrah – we had not assembled in that manner in probably 2 or 3 years; sure there have been the occasional parties, outings, or other events, but this was something different. I think part of it was also the fact that Sarah is moving to Connecticut. But it was interesting to see still how we all interacted, what roles we all played in the group dynamic.

We started off at Spaghetti Warehouse (where the food is always subpar, the service is average, but the presentation is certainly noteworthy.) And it was nice seeing the gang all gathered together again! Then we made our way over to the new Winking Lizard & Lizardville in Montrose.

April 27, 2013: Group shot from Saturday. We had some trouble with the lighting.
Skipping some details, my point is: this lovable group of service-minded misfits still cluster like lost baby ducks in any Point A to Point B situation. I have never been able to figure out in my years of Circle K, why sometimes no one takes the lead in a situation. Or why so many situations require someone to take the lead? A lot of times we all know what we have to do, it's just a matter of doing it, but we kind of flutter around.

August 28, 2008: The First end-of-year Circle K Banquet
at Spaghetti Warehouse
I think it was Angela the other day who said, when we were at a baseball game for one reason or another, that the whole point of going was to see this thing that we knew was at this location. But she wanted me to lead the way, and do the looking for it. I even asked that it was her idea, and her thing, why do I have to lead? And she's like "What do you mean!? It's what you do - it's why I brought you!"

Mayor Mills being awesome and leading.
Even though she's evil.
I don't mean to sound arrogant [in this particular instance], but I am proud of how many of my friends really see leadership potential in me. Even if it is silly things like always knowing where to take our group, subconsciously keeping track so we don't lose anyone, and making sure everyone understands whats going on and feels their voice is heard in decision making. 

Quotes of the Day: "This is what you’re like in a bad mood? I hate you." - Tiffany. 

Haha, I had some issues going into the dinner last night that I was not able to take care of because mom went missing, but I was able to repress that unhappiness enough to have a good time. I mentioned being in bad mood (which for me is still a pretty good mood - lol) and Tiffany commented, jealously.

Song of the Day: "Guillotine" by Yadi. So I have not done a great job of blogging this year because of my new job, nor the end of last year because of the campaign job, but I'm going to work on that. But in the little time I have left, one of my favorite shows is Once Upon a Time and my favorite character is Regina Mills. And ABC put out a commercial with this song, and later a whole mini-music video and I just love it and I find it getting stuck in my head fairly often. 

The Official Music Video:


Video of the Day: The aforementioned mini-music video about Regina Mills/The Evil Queen with the above song in it.  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Analysis: "The Worst Witch: The Movie"

Losing all my Drive

Observations on Captain Kirk's Quarters