2009 Year in Review

Well, it's December 1st - the first day of the last month of the year. To some, time goes by unnoticed except for the fact that we'll be celebrating Christmas break, Christmas, and New Years Eve soon. But I'm a historian, one interested in the past and the future - and how the future will look back at us. If November is any indication, December is gonna fly past faster than any of us are ready for!

A new day in America

First, lets look back at what happened in the year 2009: Barack Obama was inaugurated as
America's first Black President, Hillary became Secretary of State, and Sarah Palin resigned as Governor of Alaska so she can just fly around and bother the rest of us, the Swine Flu pandemic swept the globe and invaded the vocabulary of everyone on Earth, those American reporters were arrested in North Korea - and later released with Bill Clinton's help, the 2016 Olympics were decided for Rio de Janeiro, President Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize before his time, and the first Latina woman now sits on the Supreme Court. Republicans have gone off the deep end, and got even More conservative some how with teabaggers and the guy who yelled "You Lie!" to the President at the State of the Union! Some of the top earning movies for the year were Transformers II, Up, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, Star Trek and The Hangover. In Music, it ushered in the worldwide appeal of Lady Gaga, and the Black Eyed Peas' new album "The E.N.D." with songs like "Boom Boom Pow" and "I Gotta Feeling." The Simpson's turned 20, Sesame Street turns 40, and Gil Grissom left C.S.I., Jay Leno and Conan moved shows, and now Conan hosts the Tonight Show. We all transitioned to digital TV with either cable or a converter. There was the deaths of Willie Mays, Farrah Fawcett, Patrick Swayze, Walter Cronkite and Michael Jackson (who's funeral was watched by one billion people - that's 1/6 people on Earth!)

Fun at Cedar Point!

And in our personal lives? We all became juniors, Kayla's now a senior - having to work on her Honors Project of colochlear implants. I got my license, and mom got a new car which I use as mine. The lot of us were elected to Circle K offices, me being President, and Sarah being Treasurer. Me and Sarah broke up again, and later started dating, again. Brittany and Dan also started dating again. I road tripped to Youngstown, West Virginia, Pittsburgh twice, Birmingham for ICON, Niagara Falls and Buffalo, New York. Also went camping. Not to mention that month I spent studying abroad in Korea. Explored a bunch of abandoned buildings this summer; I got a new phone: the Blackberry Storm, which I hate. The lot of us moved off campus into houses, me with Patsy, Mike and Kat; and Sarah with Brittany and Angela P. Danielle and Alex are friends again, Amanda was the first of us to turn 21, and Brittany passed the Praxis! Whew!

So it's almost 2010 - "Twenty-Ten" - we're about to leave the 2000's decade, and finish our tenth year in a new century and millennium. What will the new year bring, and as I ask every December, why are we not living in the Jetson's age like we'd been led to believe this would be? Monday we watched a video on predictions about modern times from the 1950s, and it was pretty entertaining, but not entirely far off. They predicted GPS' basically, but oddly they predicted a lot of things cell phones do, but not the cell phone itself (Interesting note: The cell phone was inspired by the Communicator from Star Trek. Every Cellphone company will confirm this!)

So, for my New Years Eve Blog, I will try to come up with the best quote, song, etc. things of 2009 as we leave it. Ta Ta For Now!

Song of the Day: Somehow I've managed not to use this yet. But "Fireflies" by Owl City. This here is a song about a guy, and he's pretty happy, so happy in fact he's being hugged by 10,000 lightning bugs, and butterflies are doing the charleston above his head while he dreams, and he wishes he could bottle them all up in a jar of happy. No, surprisingly this song is not about drugs I don't believe!

But seriously, like everyone likes this song, and we just heard it in the car and were discussing how they're over playing it too much. But I do like their album cover, it's got a picture of the Burj al Arab hotel! I made a puzzle of that before!



Woah-MG! I just learned how to do something new, embed a video! This day will go down in the history of my blog :D

Quote of the Day:
Before the Circle K meeting, we were discussing the readability of Twilight.

"I hate that book. It's main following is like 12 year olds, and they talk about sex, and they have sex in the books! Patsy doesn't even have sex!" - Me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi !.
You re, I guess , perhaps very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct partner who uses your money in a right way - that`s it!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://gumululib.fcpages.com/xukadu.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life
Stacy said…
I have to say your review of the year is right on point, particularly the part about Sarah Palin just flying around and annoying us. I wish she would just go away but not much chance of that I'm afraid

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Analysis: "The Worst Witch: The Movie"

Losing all my Drive

Observations on Captain Kirk's Quarters