The Cake is a Lie

Haha, so success of the weekend: beating Portal at Sarah's. This game is so simple but incredibly awesome!!! In fact I'm dedicated this whole blog post to it! I'll try to summarize, and oh,... If you in your life plan to play this incredibly awesome game, which I recommend you doing, and want to be surprised by the ending do not read this post. But most of the people I know don't really care, so here we go.

*********SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! ***************

"Portal" is this video game where you wake up in a prison/science lab-y kinda room as the subject, and you quickly find a gun that shoots one end of a portal (the other end is predetermined) so you use these portals to find your way through mini-puzzles. The puzzles continue getting harder, and eventually you get another gun that can shoot the other end of the portal so you can create whole worm-holes on the walls. It sounds stupid, but its ridiculously awesome!


Anyway, along the way you encounter absolutely no one. And there's alot of hastily abandoned desks, etc. and you wonder what happened, your only real clues come from the talking Artificial Intelligence that eerily guides you sort of through the puzzles. She starts out being emotionless but femininely kind in a way. (Her name btw is "GLaDOS") as the game continues she gets more and more creepy, and starts getting kinda dry humor morbid.


Along the way, the computer tells you once you complete the course you will be "rewarded with cake." But soon you find a broken wall panel, which reveals behind the sterile, clean, high tech-y facility is a rundown rusty set of rooms that someone apparently has tried to live in. Scratched into the wall is the message "THE CAKE IS A LIE!" (which has since become an internet meme.) Anyway, you're promised cake the whole time by creepy GLaDOS and soon you realize she's trying to kill you. Eventually the boss battle comes, and when you defeat her, you win when the facility blows up and suddenly your outside! Then you're taken to the cake, which wasn't a lie n.n I'm glad I didn't know if it was a lie or not, that's the spoiler, lol.

{{UPDATE: WOah! So after typing this I noticed the "Blogspot" logo has changed...
Ahhahahahhahahaha!!! The cake WASN'T a lie afterall! rofl}}

Then the end credits roll, which had me CRACKING up! It's GLaDOS's creepy emotionless voice singing...

Song of the Day: "Still Alive" - So, let me just say that EVERY video game should end in a song! This had me cracking up, cause for hours she'd been threatening to kill me and then this jolly little jingle came up. I won't post ALL the lyrics (but they're available here) and they are hilarious once. Even if you haven't played the game, I think it's still funny. So I *NEED* to put this on a CD... OMG This is gonna be my ringtone.

Favorite lines in Song:
I'm not even angry...
I'm being so, sincere, right now...

Even though you broke my heart,
and killed me.

And tore me to pieces.

And threw every piece into a fire.
As they burned it hurt because
I was so happy for you!

Quotes of the Day:
"Aperture Science: We do what we must Because we can." - (The technology labs the game takes place in's motto)

"At the beginning of the Portal development process, we sat down as a group to decide what philosopher or school of philosophy our game would be based on. That was followed by about 15 minutes of silence and then someone mentioned that a lot of people like cake." - The Wikipedia Article for the Game, under Concept Development

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Analysis: "The Worst Witch: The Movie"

Losing all my Drive

Observations on Captain Kirk's Quarters