Canadia Day!!!

Happy Canada Day, eh? The Canadian school "University of Regina" in Seskatchewan is the largest delegation to this program with 10 people from that one school. (Akron, by comparison, has two.) So it was a biiig deal to celebrate July 1st -- Canada Day, er, their independence day? I dunno exactly what happened on this day but its important to them.

Walkin down the street somethin' caught my eye. No jk; in the Campus bookstore -- lol, but HOOOLY cow, this book was AWESOME! It was in Korean so I didn't buy it, but I bought a book of Hillary's 7 "greatest speeches" that was left side in English right side in Korean (to help advanced English speaking Koreans apparently.) Since it was half in English, I bought it! Only 13,000 won or about $10.40.

Yesterday we did paper decoration, or 'Hanji'-work, which was cool. And then went to a traditional pottery place. Later that night, partied it up on the Korean night life in celebration of Canada day!!! And in honor of scrubs, me and a girl named Sarah tried an Appletini. (To repair my manhood I followed it with a couple jack and cokes.) Remember everyone, the drinking age in Korea is 18 -- so I am not breaking any laws, just partaking in local cultural traditions. I would never drink in the great United States until I was 21.

Song of the Day: This song was on at Kareoke, and again last night at the club-- the Koreans know it, the Thai people know it, but I've never heard it before. It is VERY popular here. "Nobody But You" by the Wondergirls. I found a US single of it on youtube, but I imagine the it was a flop because Americans aren't big on songs in other languages.

Korean words of the day:
Pah : Green onions.
An-ne-yo/Aniyo : No.

Remarkable language barriers of the day:
Teacher saying "thongs" meaning "flipflops."
Teacher saying "keem" meaning "kiln."
American student trying to trick teacher into thinking "Guys" (in the way he used it) didn't mean everyone; it did.
My and Sarah's attempt to explain "Jell-O", gelatin, and Jell-O pudding to Chinese students.

Remarkable observations: Instead of swiping a zipcard to get into their cafeteria, their Cellphones have a bluetooth like setting that they swipe by a reader! That's so cool, and everyone has a cellphone.
All Korean women, when going out for simple things or fancy things, always wear high heels. ALWAYS.
My roommate changes standing on the bed. I have yet to ask why.
Canadians closely followed the US Presidential election, however pronounce Palin (as in Sarah Palin) paal-in; such as Palindrome, or to rhyme with Talon.

Remarkable facts: Onggi is a traditional form of Korean pottery, made from clay right out of the Earth and used to store and ferment the various rotting vegtables Koreans so like in their meals.
Canadians (not-surprisingly) wear white and red on Canada Day, also bring tattoos, flags, facepaints, and a variety of other things! (Us Americans did not think to bring American things for the 4th of July unfortunatly.
I have made a chinese friend who supported Hillary! n.n
A Canadian I've talked to was friends with a guy who knew a star of Degrassi.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Analysis: "The Worst Witch: The Movie"

Losing all my Drive

Observations on Captain Kirk's Quarters