The universal translator is one of Star Trek's greatest thematic devices, used to explain why all the aliens seem to speak English . Like many Star Trek inventions, we're inching closer and closer to a universal translator (for known, Earth languages) being a reality - even if it doesn't somehow change the speaker's lip movements. In the Star Trek: Discovery second season episode " An Obol for Charon ," the universal translator malfunctions translating the crew's spoken English into what I've liked to call "a chaotic cacophony" akin to the Tower of Babel; the crew can't understand each other or their consoles. (You can watch the scene over at YouTube or below.) Since the episode aired, I've looked for someone to have translated the scene -- but to my surprise, no one has, so in addition to the edits I've made over at Memory Alpha , here is the scene as I've been able to put it together. Burnham: qav...
Comments